I renewed my license at the LTO Drivers License Renewal Center at the MRT-Ayala Station in Makati.
On average, it takes about an hour to an hour and a half to renew your license. When I renewed mine though, it took me 3.5 hours. To avoid this, here are some helpful tips.
1. Ask friends which centers have less people. My hubby says he renewed his license in under an
hour at SM Hypermart in Pasig. I've renewed in Alabang in less than an hour too. I wasn't
anywhere near those places and it would take me an hour to get there so I ended up renewing in
2. Avoid going on a Monday or Friday. I don't know if the centers are open on Saturdays. But
Monday (the day I went) is probably the worst day to go. My friend advised never to do
government transactions on a Monday. Everyone is trying to finish this task so a lot of people
have this idea to renew their license on the first day of the week. For procrastinators,
they renew on Fridays so this must be a heavy day too.
3. Go early. The people at the LTO are more accommodating as they have not received that much
stress yet. There would be less people too. I try to go as soon as the center opens.
4. Renew before license expires. There's a fine for renewing expired drivers licenses. Expired
licenses cannot be renewed at the Renewal Center, you'll have to go to the main office. Student
drivers licenses application cannot be done at the Renewal Center too.
5. Bring current drivers license with OR. The current license with the corresponding official
receipt needs to be surrendered so bring those.
6. Remember your TIN. I haven't memorized my Tax Identification Number (TIN) nor have my
TIN card, I had to retrieve that information.
7. Bring the following:
a. Money: Php 425 for the drug test and medical test and Php 417.63 for the non- professional
drivers license. Try to bring exact change. This will be easier and faster for everyone.
b. Ball pen: There's a ball pen there but having your own saves you from all germs and saves
c. Water: In case you need more liquid to drink to prepare you to collect the urine sample for
the drug test.
d. Tissue and Alcogel/ Alcohol: There's tissue there and thank God there was running water.
Best to bring your own too.
8. Reading Material/ Phone/ Ipad/ Kindle. To help pass the time while waiting.
I managed to clear out all my messages during the wait.
So why did it take me that long to renew? Aside from being a Monday, I heard that the computer also bogged down.
Here's also a rundown of what transpires during renewal. The LTO office has a flowchart and labels but it can still be further improved.
1. Present old drivers license and OR and Get Application Form.
2. Present old drivers license and OR, Completed Application Form and pay Php 425.
Receive Drug Test Forms.
3. Submit completed Drug Test Forms, sign on tape, fill up bottle with urine and submit urine
4. Get photo taken and thumb print for records for the drug test.
5. Take medical test: Answer questions if one has hypertension, Weight and Height Measurements, Eye Reading Test
6. Get photo taken for license and write signature.
7. Pay drivers license fee of Php 417.63, receive official receipt.
8. Receive driver's license and stamps on the OR. Sign the log sheet that you've received the
Easy 3 hours. The layout of the LTO Renewal Center needs to be improved though for maximum efficiency. The computers and connectivity have to be in its optimal condition. The LTO needs to improve the signs/ flowchart for steps so the people won't have to ask too many questions to the super busy staff.
Check out the steps that I wrote and review of my 2006 license renewal.